Friday, October 5, 2007

Ham Radio (Gotta Love It!)

Hammin here in Hancock County Maine has evolved over the past few years. The local club, Ellsworth Amateur Wireless Association (EAWA) [ www.eawa.org ] is a great group with a long history of promoting and suporting the local Amateur radio community. From programs at the monthly meetings to Field Day operations, providing VE sessions for those testing for the first time or upgrading present licenses, EAWA (W1TU) is there to help!My involvment in Ham Radio began with going to the local Radio Shack and asking for a book to learn basic electronics (another story in itself!). I was greeted by the Manager, Bruce N1VLQ. He led me over and showed me their assortment of books. He picked up a specific one and said that that one would actually benifit me in two ways; learning electronics AND helping me in getting my Ham Radio License. I promptly ask why in H**l would I want to do that!? He eventually persuaded me to buy the book which I quickly set aside. A few months later I saw something that rang a bell about Amateur Radio and looked at the book and got a telephone number for the ARRL off the back which I called. They gave me the name and telephone number of a local Ham, Norm N1NGM. I got up enough nerve and called him and found him to be very helpfull. Shortly after that I attended a couple of local meetings. At a meeting in Trenton of the then DEAR club I found a group that got me on the right track with loaned video tapes and computer programs. Ten days later, Bob W1KMG picked me up at my door step and off we went to Bangor for me to take my test. I left the session with my CSCE for a Technicians Level License! Bob also presented me with a Yaesu FT-2500 2 Meter radio for me to borrow until I could buy one, along with an Astron power supply! Lenny N1ZDG gave me a j-pole antenna to use. I was off and running and I haven't looked back!Local hams such as AA1PI, N1TDO, KA1BFA, N1NGM, N1CJS, W1KMG, K1WJY, W8HAP, KA1BRA, KB9TQC, N1VLQ and the list goes on (over 200 hams in Hancock County alone!) continue to be the best to learn from...to any newcomer to this great hobby; don't be afraid to ask questions! You won't find a better teacher usually than the voice on the other end of the radio waves!

73 de W1KRP Dick Small Ellsworth, ME

No comments: